Health Benefits of Cycling
Cycling is an effective cardiovascular exercise that works on the heart, lungs, and blood vessels. Some other health benefits of cycling are;
- Increased cardiovascular fitness
- Increased muscle strength and flexibility
- Improved joint mobility
- Decreased stress levels
- Improved posture and coordination
- Strengthened bones
- Decreased body fat levels
- Reduced anxiety and depression.
Environment Benefits of Cycling
We all have to accept the fact that fossil fuel driven vehicles are Bad for the environment. Using cars for commuting is directly related to an increase in man made green-house gas emissions which in turn results in climate change. Some of the environmental benefits associated with cycling are;
- Saving on CO2 – Using the bicycle even for 3 days a week will result in savings of more than 100 gallons of gas over a year, and correspondingly result in reductions in carbon dioxide emissions and global climate change.
- Reduction in Noise Pollution – Compared to a car engine, bicycles are basically silent. Reducing noise pollution, especially in crowded cities.
- Lesser Use of Real-Estate – A single parking space for a car can fit up to 12 bikes, which on the scale of a city can be a ton of real estate converted to uses other than parking.
- Recycling Worries – All cars, even environmentally friendly electric vehicles, use large batteries that need to be replaced every few years. These batteries produce toxic waste that is hazardous to dispose of and can’t be recycled.
- Save trees – All tires use rubber, which typically comes from rubber plantations planted over rain forests that have been clear-cut and burned.
- Reduce Water Pollution – Motor oil, brake fluid oil, and antifreeze all leak from cars, and thanks to the number of cars on the roads have become a major source of water pollution and contain a variety of toxic substances.
Financial Benefits of Cycling to an Individual
Apart from the innumerable health & environmental benefits, cycling is also an efficient way to save a considerable amount of one’s pay-check. An individual can save on;
- Fuel Costs
- Insurance Costs
- Cut on Healthcare Costs
- Cash Incentives – Many corporations provide direct cash benefits to their employees who commute to the office on a bicycle.
- Savings on Gym Memberships
Economic Benefits of Cycling
Cycling has major benefits to the economy if it is encouraged & taken up by the majority population.
- Reduced expenditure on Health Infrastructure
- Lesser Budgetary allocation for Road Infrastructure
- Increased Tourism – Eco-Tourism
- Creation of jobs for low-skilled labor
- A larger area of Real-Estate available for eco-friendly public utilities e.g. parks, eco-tourism hubs, etc.
- Commuting to work or using the bicycle daily results in a healthier individual who in turn can contribute more effectively to the economy as compared to someone who calls in sick due to lack of physical activity.